Monday, August 18

Hope & Heartbreak, Plans and Mysteries.


Already, I am thinking about next season.  When I was in Maine I decided that I needed to add at least one more hive to my yard so that I could always make comparisons, swap frames from strong hives to weak hives, and have space should I be confronted with a swarm.

In addition to a second hive of my own, I have already picked a location for another two hives on my Aunt & Uncle's property.  They are located among farm fields, and I can envision those hives flourishing with so many resources.  I know my uncle would like to learn more about the process - he has always been fascinated, apparently - but I would probably be making visits to those hives on a bi-weekly basis.

I am preparing myself for the very real possibility that this hive might fail for this season.  As Andy says, "you never know the reason" why things go wrong.   My relationship with the bees, like relationships with tempermental friends, is one of mystery - I try, I think I am doing what needs to be done, using restraint or pouring on attention as needed, remaining optimistic, but in the end sometimes I am left with nothing instead of substance.  I might end up with heartbreak and unanswered questions after trying my damnedest.

No comments: