Monday, June 23

Preparing for Two Weeks of Absence

Before I left for a two week trip, I opened up the hive one more time.  I wanted to gauge their progress and determine at what point their population growth would call for the addition of the second super.
I lit the smoker (which I am still relighting several times during each visit... frustrating!) and opened the hive, removing the white plastic hive-top feeder.  I was glad to see that the bees had quit making as much burr comb, and saw that about 6 of the 10 frames had been drawn into comb.  
I lifted one of the frames and noticed several bees emerging from their cells, all downy and small.  As I studied those, my mother, standing by and viewing the same frame from the other side, said, "Why is there a red bee?"
"I don't know what you mean."
"There - that bee is red, bright red, I can see it from here."
I had no idea what she meant but as I turned the frame I saw her - the queen bee, marked with a dot of red paint.  
Thrilling!!

I left for my vacation knowing that all was well and lively in the bee hive.

No comments: